Originally an old coaching inn, the hotel was rebuilt and renamed in 1855 by the Earl of Feversham on the site of an older hostelry. It was previously known as The Guest House, The Board Inn and latterly The Bay Horse where beer and candles were made for sale. At the same time, three cottages adjacent to the hotel were built by the Earl in matching Yorkshire stone.
In 1967 the hotel was bought by Charrington’s Brewery before being bought by Mr. and Mrs. de Aragues in 1977. The de Aragues then purchased the three cottages to extend the hotel and added the swimming pool and gardens. The Feversham Arms Hotel & Verbena Spa, as it is known today, was born.
From this period onwards the hotel has been restored and renovated by a number of private owners before being bought by the current owners, Feversham Arms Limited in 2008.